Baked Macaroni and Cheese
What is better than right-out-of-the-oven melty macaroni and cheese with the crunchy breadcrumbs on top, all toasted up to perfection?
Comfort food at its finest, folks! So cheesy and delish! With the already snowy weather we’ve had on the east coast, I for one need some mac and cheese to get me through the winter nights.
This was even good before being baked. I may have eaten a few forks full’s of the newly coated noodles while putting them into the baking dish. It was similar to a grown-up version of the Kraft mac and cheese “blue box.” The dry mustard makes this dish, don’t omit it. Last time I made it I didn’t have any dry mustard, and it was good, but the difference is fantastic!
- 4 cups dried macaroni
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- 4 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 pound cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (optional)
- Cook macaroni until very firm. Macaroni should be too firm to eat right out of the pot. Drain.
- In a small bowl, beat egg.
- In a large pot, melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk together over medium-low heat. Cook mixture for five minutes, whisking constantly. Don’t let it burn.
- Pour in milk, add mustard, and whisk until smooth. Cook for five minutes until very thick. Reduce heat to low.
- Take 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly pour it into beaten egg, whisking constantly to avoid cooking eggs. Whisk together till smooth.
- Pour egg mixture into sauce, whisking constantly. Stir until smooth.
- Add in cheese and stir to melt.
- Add salt and pepper. Taste sauce and add more salt and seasoned salt as needed!
- Pour in drained, cooked macaroni and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately or pour into a buttered baking dish, top with extra cheese, breadcrumbs (optional) and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.
I don't usually bother to bake this recipe. I love it super creamy and without breadcrumbs. If I do bake it, I use breadcrumbs and use a cast iron skillet.
Adapted from The Pioneer Woman
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 476 Total Fat: 29g Saturated Fat: 16g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 102mg Sodium: 595mg Carbohydrates: 32g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 5g Protein: 21g