Bacon Mushroom Macaroni and Cheese
I love Mac and Cheese.
I decided not to bake this and make it just a stove top recipe because I feel like the end result is much creamier.
I still have a fondness for Kraft Macaroni and Cheese (You know, the blue box – even though I know that compared to this recipe, that boxed stuff is the worst!)
I immediately knew I wanted to throw bacon in the mix but I was having a hard time coming up with something else to mix with the cheddar cheesy goodness and crispy crunchy bacon that is this recipe.
Finally, mushrooms seemed to hit me right in the face.
I added some Vermont Creamery Crème Fraîche to the mix because I figured it would make this mac and cheese even creamier.
After all of those decisions, this Stove-Top Bacon Mushroom Crème Fraîche Macaroni and Cheese came into this world.
I don’t know if I will ever feel the need to actually bake macaroni and cheese ever again. I don’t like to wait that long to indulge in the king of comfort foods!
Note to self: Add bacon to all macaroni and cheese recipes from this day forward. This is a must.
- 1 box elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche
- 1 package bacon
- 1 package baby portabella mushrooms
- 1 whole egg
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 lb of cheese (2 7oz blocks, grated or 2 bags of already shredded cheese)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350 ° F.
- Lay foil on a baking sheet and lightly spray with non-stick cooking oil.
- Lay flat bacon on cooking sheet and cook in the oven for 20 minutes or until crispy.
- When done, pat grease off with a paper towel.
- Crack egg in a small bowl and whisk.
- Slice mushrooms and add to a small skillet with cooking oil or a small amount of butter.
- Set aside the whisked egg and cooked mushrooms.
- Cook macaroni in a large pot until fully cooked.
- Drain with a strainer and wash with cool water to prevent sticking.
- In a separate medium pot, melt butter under medium low heat and sprinkle flour over top while whisking continuously to prevent burning.
- Cook for 5 minutes while whisking.
- Add the dry mustard and milk.
- Turn the heat to low and mix in the milk and mustard.
- Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Combine 1 cup of the hot sauce into the whisked egg and whisk together.
- Pour egg mixture into the sauce while whisking until smooth.
- Add grated cheese and crème fraîche and stir until cheese is completely melted and mixture is smooth.
- Add pepper, salt, elbow noodles and mushrooms to the mixture.
- Crumble bacon into pieces and add to the pot, stir to incorporate.
Calphalon Classic Nonstick Sauce Pan with Cover, 2.5 quart, Grey
Cuisinart CTG-00-3MS Set of 3 Fine Mesh Stainless Steel Strainers
OXO 1107600 Good Grips 3-Piece Stainless-Steel Mixing Bowl Set White
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 414 Total Fat: 32g Saturated Fat: 18g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 113mg Sodium: 626mg Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 5g Protein: 19g