Blueberry Goat Cheese Coconut Ice Cream
The big box of cheese came from Vermont Creamery, a brand I've always loved.
Have you tried any of their products? There is so much you can do with goat cheese!
If you haven't had the opportunity to give Vermont Creamery a try, keep an eye out for them in your grocery store!
I love everything about this ice cream recipe.
I love the beautiful purple hues that were gently mixed into the pure white as snow ice cream.
I love the bits of sweet layered with small chunks of creamy and savory goat cheese.
I even love the creamy yet a tiny bit icy consistency, which is what I always get from a non-custard base ice cream and I usually hate it or at least don't like it as much, but somehow this time it didn't bother me.
I usually make my ice cream base with eggs, milk, heavy cream.
Coconut milk is a good substitute for vegan or lactose-free ice cream. This recipe would be vegan if it didn't have goat cheese. It's almost vegan! I think next time I will use eggs with my coconut milk and see if that helps with the slightly icy texture.
Despite this, I still think this recipe is a home run. Not only is it beautiful, the coconut flavor makes it damn good, if I do say so myself – I suppose I am a bit biased.
- 32 oz coconut milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 oz goat cheese
- Combine the coconut milk and sugar in a food processor or blender.
- Chill mixture in the refrigerator until cold, at least 30 minutes.
- In a small sauce pan, combine the blueberries, cornstarch or arrowroot and water.
- Turn on medium high heat and stir until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Churn chilled coconut milk mixture in your ice cream maker for 15-20 minutes, following your ice cream makers instructions.
- With a non-metal utensil, such as a silicone spatula, scoop out the semi-frozen mixture.
- Layer with the blueberry mixture and spread goat cheese throughout each layer.
- Freeze for 6-8 hours.
This post contains affiliate links. I will make a small commission if you make a purchase through one of these links, at no extra cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 416 Total Fat: 27g Saturated Fat: 23g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 7mg Sodium: 83mg Carbohydrates: 42g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 22g Protein: 5g