Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
I’ve made a lot of cupcakes in my day.
When I first started this website it was called ‘Sweet Remedy’ but it really began as a tiny booth at a farmers’ market where I sold cupcakes, cookies, and brownies every weekend.
My two favorite cake flavors are Red Velvet and Carrot Cake.
I figured it was finally time to photograph a Red Velvet cupcake since I’ve already done Carrot Cake Cupcakes.
I also really wanted to make Red Velvet Cake Ice Cream so I needed some cake to put in the churned ice cream batter. I pulled out my huge binder of recipes and found this one and got started.
I love to decorate cupcakes. The perfect swirl took me a long time to perfect but now it is like muscle memory.
Whenever I had red velvet at the market, which was often, I took one of the unfrosted cupcakes and sprinkled broken up pieces on top of the cream cheese frosting.
I always thought this was so pretty and it gave it even more of that red velvet flavor.
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups canola oil
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 oz red food coloring
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 stick of butter
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 ° F.
- Line a cupcake pan with liners and set aside.
- Sift the flour, cocoa and salt into a medium bowl.
- Mix the oil and sugar together with a beater blade in a stand mixer.
- Beat until combined and add the eggs until they are full incorporated.
- Add the vanilla extract and red food coloring.
- Add half of the flour, cocoa and salt mixture to the wet ingredients in the stand mixer.
- Next add half of the buttermilk and the remaining dry ingredients and follow up with the last of the buttermilk. Stir the baking soda and vinegar together to make a slurry and add to the mixer.
- Using a large scoop, place batter into prepared liners.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the middle of a cupcake clean.
- If you need to bake for longer than 20 minutes, keep a close eye on the cupcakes.
- Cream butter and cream cheese together in a medium bowl using a hand beater or in the bowl of a stand mixer with a beater blade, after you've cleaned the bowl of all red velvet batter.
- Slowly add each cup of sugar to the butter and cream cheese.
- Add milk and continue to cream mixture until silky smooth.
- Swirl onto top of cupcakes once they cool and top with the crumbs of one cupcake.
Wilton Decorating Piping Tip Set, 22 Piece
Wilton 12-Inch Disposable Cake Decorating and Pastry Bags, 100-Count
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 307 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 29mg Sodium: 230mg Carbohydrates: 35g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 25g Protein: 3g