Red Velvet Cake Ice Cream
After making Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting I had so many leftover cupcakes I decided to crumble up a few in a plastic bag and put the leftovers in the freezer for this Red Velvet Cake Ice Cream! For this recipe, I mingled the frozen cake pieces and cream cheese frosting with a luscious and creamy ice cream batter.
After the ice cream batter was done churning in my ice cream maker, I layered half the batter into a freezable container and a sprinkled half of the cake crumbs on top. Next, I added the remaining batter on top and evened it out. I added the rest of the crumbles and froze the ice cream. Once done freezing I added even more cake pieces to the top, so make sure to save at least 3 cupcakes!
I’ve always struggled to find the perfect container to store homemade ice cream in. This time around, I used an 8×8 pan with a lid usually used for brownies and bars. It worked really great. It fit perfectly into the freezer and I was able to stack other things on top of it since the pan is only 2 inches thin.
- 3 red velvet cupcakes, crumbled into pieces and divided
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Prepare your cupcakes using a Red Velvet Cake recipe. Crumble and freeze about 3 cupcakes.
- Combine eggs, yolks and sugar in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Heat milk and cream in a medium saucepan on low; do not let boil, just “scorch” it while stirring until it is near-boiling.
- Turn off heat. Incorporate 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture while whisking continuously.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture into the remaining milk and cream, continue to beat.
- Heat mixture under medium low, while constantly whisking, until the consistency is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Be very cautious -- you don't want to cook the eggs!
- Pour mixture into a bowl and cover.
- Chill until completely cool.
- Once cooled, pour mixture into frozen ice cream maker and follow your machine’s directions for churning.
- Once churning is complete; layer the semi frozen ice cream batter, 1 cup cake pieces and leftover frosting from 3 cupcakes in an airtight container.
- Store in the freezer until frozen.
- Reserve leftover cupcake crumbles in the freezer for scooped ice cream topping.
KitchenAid KICA0WH Ice Cream Maker Attachment - Excludes 7, 8, and most 6 Quart Models
Calphalon Classic Nonstick Sauce Pan with Cover, 2.5 quart, Grey
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 401 Total Fat: 31g Saturated Fat: 19g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 188mg Sodium: 142mg Carbohydrates: 26g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 21g Protein: 7g