Whole Grain Sandwich Bread
This Whole Grain Sandwich Bread was made for the upcoming lunchboxes we all will be making whether it is going back to school or work… I added hummus to this recipe to add some depth. In lieu of making sandwiches, you could also toast it up and add your favorite toppings like avocado, more hummus, tomato, black beans, and goat cheese. Dang, that sounds pretty good!
There isn’t much else better than a loaf of freshly baked bread straight out of the oven. This particular bread was made specifically for healthier sandwich bread for the upcoming school year.
It’s August which means that kids are heading back to school.
Not only are kids heading back to school, but teachers are heading back and so are adult students like me.
If you are anything like me, you see September as a new start. If you’ve fallen back into bad habits this summer because of endless adventures or summer vacations then you are looking to get back into a routine. And why not make whole grain sandwich bread a part of it?
This bread is loaded with whole grains and a flavorful ingredient that consists of chickpeas and tahini: Hummus. Sabra Hummus has many flavors to choose from. This bread was made with their Jalapeno flavor which made it really spicy but you can use whichever flavor rocks your world.
- 6 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unrefined sugar
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1/2 cup Sabra hummus (any flavor)
- 3 1/2 cups hot water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease two medium loaf pans.
- Set aside the prepared pans. In a large bowl, mix together the white whole wheat flour, unrefined sugar, salt, and yeast.
- Add the hummus and pour in the hot water.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until blended.
- The batter does not need to be kneaded.
- Fill both pans halfway to two-thirds full.
- Push the batter into the corners of the pan and smooth with wet fingers.
- Cover with parchment paper and put into a warm place until the batter has doubled in volume.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the loaf.
- Remove loaf pans from the oven and let cool slightly.
- Remove finished bread from the pans by gently running a knife along the edges of the pan and turning it over. The loaf should easily slide out.
- Slice bread and use for toast or sandwiches!
OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro Loaf Pan, 1 lb.
If You Care FSC Certified Parchment Baking Paper, 70 sq ft (Pack of 2)
Red Star Yeast Jar Quick Rise
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 407 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 936mg Carbohydrates: 86g Fiber: 11g Sugar: 19g Protein: 13g