Pear Jam with Honey
For Christmas, Joe got me a canning kit. During the weeks leading up to the present opening, we constantly messed with each other. I somehow just knew that the big huge box was a canning kit. I tried to get him to tell me it was one and he insisted it was a tripod which was a ridiculous cover. If you have ever purchased a tripod or a canning kit, you know the size differences in the boxes! I of course, never believed these tripod claims for one moment.
Thankfully I was right in my assumption that it was a canning kit and I have finally done it! I have finally made a proper jam.
I used Pomona’s Universal Pectin because the amount of sugar in jam recipes makes me uneasy. 6 cups of sugar, are you serious?
My dear friend Pam gave me a box of Pomona’s and I decided to use a recipe from inside the box because I didn’t want to test fate and mess with anything while I am still learning all the wonderful joys of canning your own food.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp calcium powder
- 4 cups pears, peeled, cored and mashed
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup lemon or lime juice
- 3 tsp pectin powder
- 4 tsp calcium water
To make calcium water:
- Mix water and calcium powder together.
- Store in a sealed jar in the refrigerator and shake before each use.
- Will keep for a few months sealed tightly.
To make jam:
- Peel and core pears.
- Mash using a potato masher or large fork.
- Stir mashed fruit, lemon or lime juice and calcium water into a medium sized pot.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the pectin powder and honey.
- Bring fruit mixture to a boil and add the honey-pectin mixture.
- Stir for 1-2 minutes and then return to a boil.
- Once boiling, remove from heat Sanitize jars, lids and rings.
- Fill jars to 1/4" of top, clean rims and carefully attach lid and twist rings on.
- Put filled jars into a boiling pot of water and process for 10 minutes.
- Add an extra minute for every 1000 ft above sea level.
- Remove from water and let cool. Lids should be "sucked" down.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 292 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 10mg Carbohydrates: 79g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 67g Protein: 1g