Almond Coffee Cake (Whole Grain)
Almonds, whole grains, and coffee cake. I’m in, are you with me?
We have this family cookbook that I make a lot of my recipes from.
It was a gift at our family reunion in 2008 to all of the family members that made it to the event.
This Almond Coffee Cake is highly rated in it. I decided to try it out but make my own additions and substitutions.
I have to agree with my family that this cake is great, even this whole grain version!
To intensify the almond flavor in this recipe, I used almond flour in the crumb topping and added slivered almonds to the top.
The almonds give a nice crunch to the otherwise spongy cake, even the whole grain addition didn’t seem to hinder the cake in any way.
Sure, it is a bit darker in color than its white flour counterpart but does the color really matter when making a recipe just a bit healthier?
I’m no longer going to pretend that I don’t love dessert. If it were socially acceptable to eat dessert all day, I’d be completely okay with that.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 cups + 3 Tbsps white whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 Tbsps almond flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- Grease 2 8x8 square pans with butter or coconut oil with wax paper, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 ° F.
- Combine the sugar, butter, and white whole wheat flour in a medium bowl with a pastry cutter until crumbly.
- Reserve 3/4 cup of the crumbs in another small bowl for the topping, set aside.
- Add the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, baking powder and almond extract to the medium bowl.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pans.
- In the small bowl, add the sugar, butter, almond flour and cinnamon to the reserved mixture.
- Combine with a pastry cutter to form crumbs.
- Cover cakes with crumb topping and silvered almonds and bake at 350 ° F for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Cut squares into 18 equal pieces.
This post contains affiliate links. I will make a small commission if you make a purchase through one of these links, at no extra cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 156Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 130mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 2g