Mom’s Sauce Recipe
My Mom is very protective of this sauce. She does not measure anything and adds spices until it “feels right” or “looks green enough.” A few months ago I watched her make this and I wrote down my estimations of the spices. I measure. I can’t help it. I like to be in control and know exactly how much of something is going into the pot. This might be because I am a baker before a cook. Maybe one day I’ll be able to throw spices into a large pot and get away with it.
I can say, with 100% certainty that I have never enjoyed a sauce recipe as much as this one. It may be because I grew up eating this but I’m just going to pretend that my Mom simply makes a damn fine pot of sauce.
After I wrote down the measurements that I thought went into the pot, I sat on this recipe for a long while. I didn’t want to disappoint my mom by failing her sauce expectations. She is a lady of standards when it comes to sauce, nothing is good enough unless it is hers and really, I don’t blame her.
We use this for all of our sauce-laden dishes. It goes on top of our chicken parmesan, baked ziti, veggie lasagna, meat lasagna, pasta, and spaghetti.
In fact, I think we love this sauce so much that we should probably jar it for future use.
Months passed and I finally had the perfect excuse to try my hand at my mom’s recipe.
I went to work and later that night I received praise from my mom!
She liked it and that made me smile.
- 4 sausage links
- olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 28oz canned tomato sauce
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 3 Tbsp parsley
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
- Cut a slit on one side the sausage links.
- Coat a small pan with olive oil and place the sausage in the pan, cut side down. Cook the sausage until each side is brown. Set aside
- Roll the ground beef into 8-10 small meatballs, set aside.
- In a large sauce pot, mix together the tomato sauce and paste.
- Break down the bay leaf and add it to the sauce.
- Follow with the rosemary, oregano, parsley, garlic powder and Parmesan cheese. Stir.
- Add the sausage and meatballs.
- Stir and turn on high heat until the sauce starts to bubble.
- Adjust heat to low, cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes.
Calphalon Classic Nonstick Dutch Oven with Cover, 7 quart, Grey
OXO 11132000 Good Grips Stainless Steel Measuring Cups with Magnetic Snaps, 1 EA
OXO 1107600 Good Grips 3-Piece Stainless-Steel Mixing Bowl Set White
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 181 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 33mg Sodium: 1181mg Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 10g Protein: 13g