Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream
You could say I am obsessed with Green Tea. I adore it. You bet that if something is offered in a green tea flavor, I am all about it.
Some of my favorite green tea things: Starbucks frappuccino, bubble tea, mochi, good ole hot green tea, iced green tea and of course… ice cream.
I remember the first time I had Green Tea ice cream.
I was at a local Japanese restaurant and it was fantastic.
There is something so refreshing about the taste and I know that I feel better about eating ice cream or drinking a 400 calorie beverage when it’s green.
Maybe now I can justify drinking Shamrock milkshakes from McDonald’s. Just kidding…
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons green tea powder
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the cream, milk and salt to a bare simmer.
- Whisk in the green tea powder until dissolved.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar.
- Whisk 1 cup of the hot cream mixture into the egg mixture to temper the eggs, then slowly pour the eggs into the saucepan, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens to a custard (it will be thick enough to coat the back of the spoon).
- Immediately remove the pan from the heat and strain the custard into a medium bowl set over a bowl of ice water.
- Stir the custard until it is cold.
- Process the custard in an ice cream maker until thick, then transfer to an airtight container and freeze until hardened, approximately 8 hours.
This post contains affiliate links. I will make a small commission if you make a purchase through one of these links, at no extra cost to you.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 252 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 170mg Sodium: 112mg Carbohydrates: 12g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 10g Protein: 7g