Irish Soda Bread
According to the Internet, Soda bread is not Irish if it contains sugar or raisins.
My tradition is Irish Soda Bread and the recipe I use calls for both sugar and raisins.
It was a let down to learn that the recipe I’ve been eating all my life wasn’t authentic.
However, I was recently informed by my Mom that this recipe came from an Irish relative who lives in Tralee, County Kerry! (That’s in Ireland!)
I’m not sure what to believe.
I’ve decided that it doesn’t matter. Recipes get handed down through the generations and altered in some way.
Whatever you want to call it, here the recipe my family uses, sugar and raisins included!
I wouldn’t change a thing.
This morning we made French Toast out of this bread and it was absolutely delicious.
Hope you all have a wonderful St. Paddy’s Day and enjoy this soda bread as much as I do! (perhaps with a pat of Kerrygold butter?)
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 ° F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the butter and combine with a pastry cutter.
- Form a well in the middle of the mixture.
- Whisk the egg into the buttermilk and pour the mixture into the well.
- With a spatula mix until combined and add the raisins.
- Turn the dough onto a well floured baking sheet and form into a ball.
- Score an "x" on the top of the loaf with a knife
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
When forming the dough into a ball, it is helpful to add flour to your hands so the dough does not stick to them.
This recipe makes 1 large loaf. You can split it into two smaller loaves.
I usually double this recipe and split it into three smaller loaves. This way I can give them to my family and friends for St. Paddy's Day.
This post contains affiliate links. I will make a small commission if you make a purchase through one of these links, at no extra cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 247mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate. You may want to spot check this information.