Fresh Violet Syrup
Use this fresh violet syrup in an array of recipes: Popsicles, cocktails or on top of pancakes!
A very good friend of mine made some violet syrup and had way too many jars of it. She gave me two of the extra jars and I immediately fell in love. I knew right away I what I wanted to make and I’ll be sharing that with you that a little later this week!
How will you use this syrup? In tons of recipes, that’s how! I made Popsicles but you can also make cakes, cocktails, muffins or cupcakes! Or drizzle on top of a huge stack of pancakes or waffles. If you have wild violets growing in your yard, that is the best kind. But, when foraging for wild edibles, be positive you know exactly what you just picked!
The best kinds of gifts are edible ones in my opinion so when I was handed this violet syrup, I’m sure I smiled from ear to ear and was totally genuine about it.
You know how some people give you some weird present and it is like they don’t even know you?
Then there is the obvious re-gifted present. Those are the funniest.
- violet blossoms
- unrefined sugar
- lemon juice
- With fresh violet blossoms, fill a large mason jar.
- Cover the blossoms with boiling water and infuse for at least 2 hours.
- Drain liquid into a medium sized bowl using a strainer and discard violets.
- Measure the remaining liquid.
- For each cup of liquid, add 1 cup of sugar and juice of 1/2 lemon.
- Transfer mixture to a medium pot and bring to a boil. Pour finished mixture into sterilized small mason jars.
- Place the lids and bands on top and process for 5 minutes in a large pot of boiling water. It is useful to have a canning kit or canning tools for this step.
For this recipe, you must measure the liquid after letting the violets steep and infuse into the water. Once you have that measurement, you add 1 cup of sugar and the juice of 1/2 lemon. For instance, after you discard the violet blossoms, if there is 2 cups of infused violet blossom liquid left you would add 2 cups of sugar and 1 whole lemon.
Granite Ware Enamel-on-Steel Canning Kit, 9-Piece
Ball 4-Ounce Quilted Crystal Jelly Jars with Lids and Bands, Set of 12-2 Pack (Total 24 Jars)
Calphalon Classic Nonstick Sauce Pan with Cover, 2.5 quart, Grey
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: n/a