Cinnamon Brown Rice Pudding with Almond Milk
Rice pudding is so easy to make I’m not really sure why I waited so long! My mom loves it and Joe’s mom loves it so why haven’t I made it for these wonderful ladies yet? I decided that I needed to make some but I only had almond milk and brown rice on hand. I figured that would be fine and went with it.
Brown rice is healthier anyway!
I really wanted to add dried figs and maple in the mix but I decided this time I would stick to cinnamon since I was making it for other people. Next time I’ll experiment with some flavor combinations. Doesn’t fig and maple sound pretty great?
During the slow boil, I was afraid that the milk was going to curdle so I had the heat on low. Too low because it took absolutely forever for the milk to cook down and thicken the rice. When I say forever, I really mean FOR-EV-ER! I hope some of you get the reference here. Extra points if you knew what I was referencing without clicking the YouTube link!
I brought these bowls filled with pudding over to Joe’s for dessert and they were promptly devoured after dinner. I left some for my mom, who didn’t even bother to eat it.
If you don’t like raisins, feel free to omit them or eat around them. I won’t be offended.
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup brown rice
- 4 cups almond milk
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Boil 4 cups of water and stir in brown rice.
- Lower to medium heat and simmer rice for 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Stir occasionally. Drain water and transfer rice back to its original pot.
- Put the lid on the pot and let steam for 10 minutes, away from the flame.
- After 10 minutes, transfer rice to a bowl and set aside.
- Bring almond milk, sugar, honey and spices to a low boil.
- Stir often so the milk doesn't burn.
- Add the rice, butter and raisins, stir often.
- Simmer until milk cooks down, about 30-45 minutes.
- Serve cold or at room temperature with a pinch of cinnamon on top.
- Add raisins to your liking.
This post contains affiliate links. I will make a small commission if you make a purchase through one of these links, at no extra cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 189Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 45mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 2gSugar: 22gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate. You may want to spot check this information.