Avocado + Hummus Breakfast Bowls
Disclosure: As a Sabra Tastemaker, I have been monetarily compensated for this post, recipe development, and photography. However, all opinions are 100% my own. This post contains affiliate links. I will make a small commission if you make a purchase through one of these links, at no extra cost to you.
Avocado + Hummus Breakfast Bowls for National Hummus Day! You don’t even need a plate.
Happy National Hummus Day!
May 15th is National Hummus Day. Sabra has come up with quite a few ways to celebrate this momentous occasion. You can read more about their new Hummus for Dummies book, gourmet food truck fleet, and national hummus day contests below.
I decided to celebrate national hummus day with a nice big breakfast filled with the healthy fats from avocados, plenty of chickpeas and hummus and classic breakfast foods such as scrambled eggs, black beans, and bacon.
The recipe for these Avocado + Hummus Breakfast Bowls came out of the desire to stuff something with breakfast foods. Why not give it a go and celebrate hummus in one shot?
I scarfed down two of these ‘bowls’ and I felt good about it because avocado is awesome for you! I did douse these with some hot sauce because that is just how I roll in the mornings.
You’ll find some spicy hummus, black beans, scrambled eggs, parsley and bacon in between the mashed up avocado. I paired these with some pumpernickel toast and breakfast was created!
- 2 avocados
- 4 Tbsp hummus (I used Sabra Roasted Garlic Hummus)
- 5 bacon strips
- 1 tsp butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1/4 cup black beans
- parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 ° F (If using the baking method for cooking the bacon. If using the stovetop method, skip this step.)
- Slice each avocado down the middle and remove the large pit.
- Mash the inside of the avocado with a fork and add 1 Tbsp of hummus to each half. Set aside.
- Cook the bacon on the stove top in a non stick skillet or lay the bacon on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or foil) and bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until crispy.
- Remove from oven and use tongs to place the bacon on a plate lined with paper towels to soak up the extra grease.
- In a medium bowl, crack the eggs and add the milk.
- Whisk until combined. In a non-stick skillet, melt the butter and add the egg mixture.
- Using a spatula, move the eggs around until they cook and become scrambled eggs.
- Add the black beans to the mixture near the end of cooking.
- Add the egg and black bean to the avocado and hummus bowls.
- Once the bacon is cooled, crumble and place on top of the avocado and garnish with fresh parsley.
This post contains affiliate links. I will make a small commission if you make a purchase through one of these links, at no extra cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 539Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 221mgSodium: 704mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 13gSugar: 1gProtein: 24g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate. You may want to spot check this information.