Asparagus and Mushroom Toast
This Asparagus and Mushroom Toast is the perfect thing to jump start your day.
Breakfast is my favorite meal to cook. Luckily, it is my favorite meal to eat as well!
Cooking for the ones I love on the weekend fills me with so much joy.
Spring is finally starting to show itself here in the Hudson Valley.
The temperature is finally in the 40s-50s, which is what we like to call warm up in New York.
The warmer weather has almost instinctively brought me to the asparagus and sugar snap peas in the grocery store.
Lately, I’ve been buying produce and other items, such as a whole chicken, just because.
When I got home, I thought to myself: “What am I going to do with all of this asparagus?”
I decided I’d roast it in a healthy dose of olive oil and minced garlic.
I also picked up a nice block of my favorite cheese from Kerry Gold, Reserve Cheddar Cheese. Oh, it is pure heaven.
The asparagus was directly next to some huge portabello mushrooms so I picked up the baby bella mushrooms sitting right next to them since they are so tiny and cute.
Their close proximity in the grocery store helped create this Asparagus and Mushroom Toast recipe.
- 16 asparagus stalks (~1 bundle)
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- butter, for cooking
- 4 slices wheat bread
- 3 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 eggs
- Lay the asparagus stalks onto a baking sheet.
- Drizzle the olive oil and garlic on top, coating everything evenly.
- Cook the asparagus in the oven for 15 minutes or until the asparagus is al dente.
- While the asparagus cooks, melt a small amount of butter in a skillet and toss in your sliced mushrooms.
- Cook the mushrooms until they are browned on both sides.
- Line a second baking sheet with the sliced bread, top the bread with the oven roasted garlic asparagus.
- Add the cooked mushrooms and top with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 3-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- While the toasts are in the oven, melt a small amount of butter in the same skillet you used for the mushrooms.
- Crack your eggs and cook until the egg whites are solid and the yolk is still runny. Set eggs aside.
- Take the toasts out of the oven once the cheese is melted.
- Top one slice with one egg. Repeat and serve!
- OXO Good Grips Mixing Bowl Set with Black Handles, 3-Piece
- If You Care FSC Certified Parchment Baking Paper, 70 sq ft (Pack of 2)
- Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
This post contains affiliate links. I will make a small commission if you make a purchase through one of these links, at no extra cost to you.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 374 Total Fat: 26g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 215mg Sodium: 392mg Carbohydrates: 19g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 3g Protein: 17g